Monday, September 17, 2012

Settling In

How does time pass so quickly between my posts these days? Tor and I powered through our final days without Lars around, although we got pretty punchy by the end.

And as you recoil, you kick yourself for buying that HD monitor
With DaDa home to restore some sanity to the scene, we set about establishing a routine. I think everyone has been craving a sense of normalcy, and finally we're getting there. (At least until Lars goes to Minneapolis for two weeks in November. But then California will already be familiar to Tor.) On Mondays and Wednesdays, we wave Lars off to the Stanford shuttle bus at 6:45 a.m. Tor and I eat breakfast and hang out all day. This is generally when cleaning, grocery shopping, and laundry get done. In the evenings, we have dinner as a family, then we all play until Tor's 8:00 bedtime, and finally Lars and I have a little time together until we pass out by 10:00 p.m. (Tor has generously started sleeping in until after 5:00 a.m. most mornings, which helps everyone feel a little more civil.)

On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, Lars's schedule is the same, but Tor and I go out the door early too to get him to day care by 7:30. We got him a board book from the library called Teeth Are Not for Biting, and he gets the idea, even if impulse control is not complete yet. (His childcare provider has started giving him a lollipop at the end of a bite-free day, so soon he may not have any teeth left anyhow.)

Victims are the huge kid to Tor's right and the girl in pink
I teach the Tu/Th 9:30-10:45 a.m. freshman composition course, and on Fridays I grade and prep. But Tuesdays are a bear, because I also teach the professional writing course from 4:30 to 7:00 p.m. Since HNU is half an hour away, I stay on campus. This means that Lars has to come home and get Tor from day care, since it closes at 5:45. Here we ran into a logistical problem: we only have one working vehicle.

Problem solved!
To make it work out, Oma and Opa sprung for a used bike trailer, which Lars can use to tote Tor home on Tuesdays. You'll note that for perhaps the first time since he turned 18, Lars is also wearing a helmet. Tor MUST KEEP THINKING HELMETS ARE COOL. He just got a coloring book featuring Elmo on a bike, and he noticed right away that Elmo wore an "'elmet." So if both his role models are doing it...

Shades of Ben-Hur, but with a less bloody finale
When we're home, pastimes include eating (he doesn't like to consume much at once, so we're snacking throughout the day in addition to meals), coloring, playing in our backyard, and going to the three parks within walking or short driving distance. 

Gleanings of the epic local farmers' market


Nightcap and a scribble (yes, MJ, this is your marker)
Embellishing stickers = future scrapbooker
"My backyard has palm trees!"
The ivy will eventually throttle the 70-foot tree in the corner, and it's going to be either our house or the neighbors'


Working that daddy magic

"ANTS!"


 It's kind of soul-sucking not to have any friends to gather with, though. In Minnesota, Madeline just had her third birthday party. Last year, Tor (and then Lars) got the stomach flu after her party. I knew I missed everyone when I realized yesterday that even as a lifelong emetophobe, I'd be willing to weather a bout of baby barfiness to be among buddies. Until then, I'll just pour an ounce of chocolate leche for y'all.

Oh, and Annia reminded me to share our new address for your records:

6567 Flanders Dr.
Newark, CA 94560


2 comments:

  1. We miss you guys! The bday wasn't the same without you. I meant to call but time just got away from me, only later did I discover Aaron talked to Lars. Love your updates, so glad things have been working out for you, and I'll hope for some good peeps to come your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, don't forget Lindsay and I also got the pukes after that party. This year was absolutely dull with no post-party gastrointestinal distress! Glad to see Lars is *finally* wearing a helmet! While I hope you find some people as cool and fun to be with as all of us, that just seems unlikely and would only encourage y'all to stay away more and longer! Hope to see all of you next month!!

    David

    ReplyDelete